About the Program
WISEWOMAN (Well-Integrated Screening and Evaluation for Women Across the Nation) program extends the services provided to individuals as part of the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (NBCCEDP). This program was established by the CDC in 1993.
The Washington WISEWOMAN program is administered by DOH’s Breast, Cervical & Colon Health Program (BCCHP). We offer services to low-income, uninsured, or under-insured BCCHP clients aged 35 to 64 in regions where WISEWOMAN services are available.
WISEWOMAN services include:
- Heart disease and stroke risk factor screenings (blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, body mass index also known as BMI, and smoking).
- Health risk assessment.
- Medical history.
- Risk reduction counseling.
- Follow-up for patients with heart disease and stroke risk factors (after health risk assessment and risk reduction counseling, if needed).
WISEWOMAN helps clients learn about and reduce their heart disease and stroke risk. We emphasize improved blood pressure control through counseling and healthy behavior support options. This focus is aligned with Million Hearts®, a national initiative to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes within 5 years.
WISEWOMAN offers risk reduction counseling and healthy behavior support. Types of healthy behavior support options include:
- Evidence-based lifestyle programs in a health care setting or through community-based organizations.
- Health coaching in a health care setting or through community-based organizations.
- Referrals to community-based resources that support healthy options.
A note about the program name
The acronym WISEWOMAN is associated with the program’s federal name. At the Department of Health, we are working on creating an inclusive name that reflects our values for the program's Washington state services.
WISEWOMAN Program Documents and Information
- One-Page Flyer
We created this one-page flyer based on information in the program's tri-fold brochure. Clinics can easily print it on clinic/office printers or share it via email. You can also download this flyer in multiple languages.
Contact us! If you have any questions or want more information on WISEWOMAN in Washington state, please contact email@example.com.