- What skills are needed to be an effective CHW?
CHWs must possess essential core skills to be effective:
- Interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Service coordination and navigation skills
- Capacity building skills
- Providing coaching and social support
- Advocating for individuals and communities
- Building individual and community capacity
- Providing direct service
- Implementing individual and community assessments
- Participating in evaluation and research
- I want to be a Community Health Worker (CHW), how do I get the skills needed?
Washington State Department of Health offers a FREE Community Health Worker training. The training is a ten-week online course and are offered quarterly.
Participants gain valuable skills to connect community members with health and social services. In addition, they will gain access to specialized trainings, a regional CHW network and an exclusive local CHW website.
For more information on the training, please visit Washington State Department of Health's Community Health Worker Training web page.
- CHW Course Registration Information