WA Portal News, Events & Success Stories
- AnnouncementFunding announced for organizations working to support healthy births and expand access to resources for birthing familiesMar 22, 2023
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) awarded Birth Equity Project funding to five organizations serving pregnant and birthing people in the state. These organizations are led by and serve Washington’s Black/African American, African Immigrant, and American Indian/Alaska Native… more
- AnnouncementMar 15, 2023People statewide are invited to nominate their community as a HEZ (Health Equity Zones). The nomination period is open from March 13 - April 23. Each geographic area chosen as a HEZ will receive $200,000 per year for two years to identify health priorities and develop community action… more
- AnnouncementMar 8, 2023
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) has released its 2023 Maternal Mortality Review Report (PDF), with findings that behavioral health conditions, including suicide and overdose, remain the leading causes of pregnancy-related deaths. The report is based on reviews conducted by DOH’s … more
- AnnouncementJan 25, 2023
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) released the results of its annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), which shows how people living in America reported about their… more
- AnnouncementJan 10, 2023
The 2023 National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO) Conference will take place both virtually and in-person, July 10–13, 2023 in Denver.
This year’s theme, Elevating Public Health Practice for Today and Tomorrow, will explore how the local… more
- Announcement2023 Collaborative workgroups to focus on diabetes, hospital discharge solutions, perinatal depressionJan 3, 2023
Every year, the Bree Collaborative chooses focus areas to develop best practices and clinical guidelines to improve health care quality, affordability, and accessibility. Potential topics are evaluated based on relevant healthcare utilization, variability, and impact on health outcomes in our… more
- Success StoryAt a critical time for youth, this team is making physical and mental health care more accessible to historically underserved communitiesDec 6, 2022
When the state Department of Health's Adolescent and Young Adult Health unit reached out to communities across our state to address health issues for youth, they opened a floodgate. Interest was strong, enthusiastic, and tapped pent-up frustration… more
- AnnouncementBREE offers recommendations on Hepatitis C virus, outpatient infection control, and prescribing opioids to older adultsNov 29, 2022
The Dr. Robert Bree Collaborative, which brings together public and private health care stakeholders to identify specific ways to improve health care quality, outcomes, and affordability in Washington State, has recently published recommendations for key health issues. The Bree Recommendation on… more
- AnnouncementNov 8, 2022
To support the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline, the Washington State Department of Health needs your help. In 2021, the state Legislature passed a law requiring the Washington State Department of Health to develop standards for crisis call centers to become crisis call center hubs.
- AnnouncementOct 24, 2022
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) has updated their school immunization data dashboard to include data from the 2021-2022 school year. The newest data included show that the vaccination rates have remained flat.
“Vaccines remain the single most… more