Become a CHW
What skills are needed to be an effective CHW?
CHWs must possess essential core skills to be effective:
- Interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Service coordination and navigation skills
- Capacity building skills
- Providing coaching and social support
- Advocating for individuals and communities
- Building individual and community capacity
- Providing direct service
- Implementing individual and community assessments
- Participating in evaluation and research
I want to be a Community Health Worker (CHW); how do I get the skills needed?
Washington State Department of Health offers a FREE Community Health Worker training.
The training is a ten-week online course and are offered quarterly.
Participants gain valuable skills to connect community members with health and social services. In addition, they will gain access to specialized trainings, a regional CHW network and an exclusive local CHW website.
For more information on the training
Please visit Washington State Department of Health's Community Health Worker Training web page.
Cost assistance may be available to complete this training if you are located in Adams, Ferry, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, or Stevens County. For more information about this funding opportunity, please contact Kim.Wilson@BetterHealthTogether.org or visit the website.
CHW Course Registration Information