Financial Resources

Coins stacked watercolor

Financial Resources

On this page, you’ll find an overview of expenses to expect when applying to universities or dietetic internship programs and an introduction to financial aid.



Expenses in addition to tuition

Whether you attend a stand-alone or coordinated program, an in-person or a distance dietetic internship program, you’ll have onboarding fees, require study books, and a mode of transportation to and from rotation sites. Most programs require you to join dietetics-focused memberships and attend at least one dietetics-focused conference. Most programs list their specific expected expenses on their website.


Mandatory and onboarding expenses

Typical mandatory and onboarding expense items include:

  • Application fees
  • DICAS and D&D fees
  • Transcripts fees
  • Onboarding fees, including background check or drug screens
  • DI course lab fees
  • Food handler’s permit
  • CPR/AED course
  • Liability insurance
  • AND student membership and other relevant nutrition organization memberships
  • Conference fees (plus lodging, travel, and food)
  • Textbooks and other course materials
  • Miscellaneous supplies

The average cost (23-24 school year) of the above mandatory and onboarding costs is $1,300.


Additional expenses

These expenses will vary for each student or intern.

  • Housing:
    • If you choose to attend an in-person program and have to relocate, program webpages list expected living expenses (room, board, food) within this range: $1,000 - $1,500 per month
  • Transportation:
    • You will be required to have transportation to different rotation sites.
    • Expenses at a minimum include auto insurance, petrol, and maintenance costs for the duration of the internship.
    • Estimates for the entire internship range from $1,000-$3,000, depending on your rotation locations.
  • Health insurance and immunizations coverage:
    • All internships require interns to have certain immunizations completed.
    • Expenses will vary based on your insurance plan and previously completed immunizations.


Non-degree seeking programs versus post-baccalaureate dietetic internship programs

  • Some universities integrate their dietetic internship as post-baccalaureate programs. Students enrolled as post-baccalaureate students qualify for financial aid (as subsidized and unsubsidized loans) and loan deferment if loan limits have not been previously met. 


  • Some universities and stand-alone programs designate their dietetic internship program as non-degree seeking programs. For these, government financial aid program rules do not allow interns to receive the typical financial-aid programs available to university students. This means the program cannot provide 1098-T forms and does not qualify for federal financial aid.



Introduction to financial aid resources


Financial aid is money to help pay for college or career school. Grants, work-study, loans, and scholarships can help make college more affordable. Watch the Introduction to Financial Aid video recording to learn more about the types of financial aid, when to apply, and more.


Applying for financial aid

In Washington State, the most common path to financial aid starts with filling out either a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) form.


  • Who applies? General eligibility requirements include that you:
    • have financial need for need-based aid,
    • are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen, and
    • are enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program at an eligible college or career/trade school.
    • There are more eligibility requirements you must meet to qualify for federal student aid.
  • What financial aid is offered? It includes money in the form of grants, scholarships, work-study funds, and loans.
  • FAFSA deadlines: There is a yearly federal deadline, and each state and college has additional specific deadlines
  • Need to be submitted yearly
  • FAFSA Webpage



  • Who applies? WASFA is for people who don’t file a federal FAFSA application. If you have completed the FAFSA, you have already applied for federal and state financial aid and do not need to complete the WASFA unless your college asks you to. When to complete a WASFA instead of a FAFSA:
    • Immigration status, or student is undocumented
    • Undocumented parents or family members do not wish to file a FAFSA
    • Defaulted federal loans
    • Repayments owed on federal grants
  • What financial aid is offered? It includes money in the form of Washington State-specific grants, scholarships, work-study funds, and loans
  • Need to be submitted yearly
  • WAFSA Webpage


CSS Profile

  • Who applies?
    • Not all colleges and scholarship programs require the CSS Profile. Check with participating institutions and programs you’re interested in to see if they require it.
    • CSS Profile allows families to provide a more complete picture of their financial circumstances than the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may provide alone. 
  • What financial aid is offered? It covers non-federal institutional aid. For federal financial aid, a student still needs to complete the FAFSA application.
  • Cost per application: $25 for initial application to one institution, $16 for each additional institution. Some students may qualify for a fee waiver.
  • CSS Profile Webpage


Financial aid application timeline for first-time applicants

  1. Gather required documents
  2. Create an FSA ID (for FAFSA) or WASFA account – need to be done once only
  3. Wait for FAFSA or WASFA to “open” for the year – around December
  4. Apply for financial aid AND university or college admissions
  5. Follow up with universities or colleges for any additional request for information
  6. Review your award letters and accept your financial aid


Additional learning resources for financial aid



Other financial aid information

Dependent versus independent student (for financial aid purposes)

  • Dependent student:
    • Requires parent information
    • Does not meet any of the criteria for an independent student
  • Independent student:
    • Does not require parent information
    • An independent student is one of the following:
      • At least 24 years old
      • Married
      • A graduate or professional student
      • A veteran
      • A member of the armed forces
      • An orphan
      • A ward of the court
      • Someone with legal dependents other than a spouse
      • An emancipated minor
      • Someone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless and self supporting


Other forms of tuition savings